Elevating Hygiene and Sustainability in Commercial Toilets: The Aquatemp Approach
For decades, the cleanliness of public toilets in commercial buildings like shopping centres and restaurants has been paramount to customer satisfaction and business success. A shining example is McDonalds, globally recognised for its meticulous toilet facilities. This emphasis on cleanliness is not just about comfort; it’s a reflection of overall management and a critical factor in attracting and retaining customers.
Over 75% of adults would avoid establishments with dirty toilets, underscoring the need for immaculate and hygienic facilities.
The Shift Towards Sustainable Management
Balancing Cleanliness with Environmental Responsibility: In recent years, there’s been a vital shift in focus from not only maintaining cleanliness but also embracing sustainability in building management. Environmentally friendly products are no longer a luxury but a necessity, with toilet facilities often at the forefront of customer complaints and satisfaction.
The Misconceptions and Realities of Waterless Urinals
Debunking Myths with Aquatemp’s Innovation in ZeroFlush Urinals
Aquatemp Environmental Solutions has been at the forefront of developing waterless urinals, a technology often misunderstood in hygiene. Contrary to common beliefs, waterless urinals can enhance cleanliness and sanitation:
- Odour Misconceptions: Urine is essentially odourless; the odour commonly associated with urine is due to its reaction with water and air. Waterless urinals prevent this reaction, thus reducing odour.
- Scientific Evidence of Hygiene: Studies, including those by Dr Michael Hoffman and Dr Charles Gerba, have shown that waterless urinals are more effective against sewer gas migration and reduce the spread of bacteria and viruses compared to their flushing counterparts.
- Dr. Michael Hoffman: Professor of Environment Science and Dean of Graduate Studies at the California Institute of Technology, concluded in an independent study that “The dual barrier system provided in waterless urinals are predicted to be 500 times more effective against the back migration of sewer gases as compared to conventional P-trap water barriers.”
- Dr. Charles Gerba: Professor of Environmental Microbiology at the University of Arizona, explains, “Waterless urinals offer a major improvement in public sanitation. Flushing is eliminated, which greatly reduces the almost continuous production of microbial aerosols, and the surface and sides of urinals are drier, which reduces the survival of human disease-carrying microorganisms and prevents their growth.”
- Flushing doesn’t kill bacteria and viruses: worse, the flush creates a mist that spreads bacteria and viruses to every surface in the toilet facility.
- Reduced Cross-Contamination Risk: The Journal of Infection Control notes that bacteria, such as those that cause the influenza virus, can thrive and linger on surfaces for up to 72 hours. As a result, water-flushing urinals contain more bacteria and microorganisms than waterless urinals. The waterless feature of waterless urinals can help reduce the risk of cross-contamination because users are not required to touch a flushing device that may harbour bacteria.
ZeroFlush Urinals: A Paradigm of Cleanliness and Sustainability
Minimal Maintenance, Maximum Efficiency: Zero Flush urinals from Aquatemp Environmental Solutions represent the pinnacle of this technology. They are designed for minimal maintenance, using a simple spray-and-go cleaner that requires no wiping, unlike traditional flush urinals. The absence of water prevents the buildup of lime scale and calcite, making cleaning effortless.
The Aquatemp Promise: Hygienic and Eco-Friendly Facilities
A Step Towards a Greener Future: By adopting Zero Flush waterless urinals, building owners and managers can ensure their facilities are not only sustainably managed but also offer a cleaner, more hygienic experience for clients.
This innovation is a testament to Aquatemp’s commitment with ZeroFlush urinals to combining environmental responsibility with superior hygiene standards.
Gary Mays, born and educated in Auckland, New Zealand, has called the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, home since 1986. He currently holds the position of Executive Director for both Whywait Plumbing Pty Ltd and Aquatemp Environmental Solutions Pty Ltd, showcasing his multifaceted expertise in the industry. Gary is a licensed plumber in Queensland and New South Wales, with an impressive international business background, including operations in New Zealand, Australia, and Singapore. Renowned for his ardent passion for plumbing, water conservation, sustainability, education and small business, Gary’s voice is frequently sought after in the press, radio, and television, where he offers insightful opinions on current news items. His extensive experience and steadfast dedication to his professional career make him a respected figure in the field, reflecting his commitment to local and global ecological causes.